As a child my mom always made bread pudding with the leftover bread heels & any other parts as well, when not using to make homemade bread crumbs. Loving bread pudding made me convert the regular recipe to my own...Studded with raisins & apple chunks this is delicious warm or cold~
Preheat oven to 350 degrees...45 minutes
4-6 cups day old bread (french, bagels, white, wheat)
2 cups eggnog (more if needed)
1/2-1 cup sugar (depending on desired sweetness, but remember eggnog has a lot of sugar)
4 eggs beaten
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2-3/4 tsp. ground cloves
pumpkin pie spice to your desired taste
1/2 cup or more raisins
Apple chunks & nuts optional
1. Tear up bread into chunks
2. Mix eggnog and beaten eggs, spices & raisins to bread mixing well.
3. Let sit for 30 minutes mixing again before placing in pan sprayed with cooking spray (11' x 7' or 13' x 9') depending on desired thickness.
4. Once stirred, place into greased pan & into preheated oven.
5. Depending on your oven temperature check @ 30 minutes, but usually takes 40-45. You will be able to tell the difference. Toothpick will come out clean.
6. Whipped cream & a caramel sauce are great over this also...
Cream Cheese Caramel Sauce/Dip
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Combine cream cheese, brown sugar & vanilla, mixing well. Serve drizzled over whipped cream or just over bread pudding. To uses as a dip with apples place in fridg til firm~